[Coco] 1000sx update

Derryl L. Cummings d.cummings at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 17:44:18 EDT 2006

Willard Goosey wrote:
> I'd like to thank everybody here on the coco list for helping me out
> with my Tandy 1000sx.  I was able to get a SCSI and then MFM drives
> working on it.  I was able to test my moldering pile of MFM drives!
> Only one of them refused to spin up.  Not bad for a bunch of old
> ST-2xxs.
>
> Out of Tradition's sake, I went with a Microtek MFM controller and a
> ST-251 drive.  Two partitions, a 32Meg and an 8Meg.  DOS 3 bites. ;-)
>
> So, two questions:
> 1) Does anybody know what an ST-251 MLC-1 is?  I suspect it's not
> MFM.  ESDI maybe?
>
> 2) Does anybody have a N-1000, 3c501, or other 8-bit ethernet card
>    they're not using?  With AUI or UTP, please. I fear cheapernet! :-)
>
> Willard
Hi !,

	I Googled this description of the ST-251 MC-1.

Derryl

S T 2 5 1 - M C L 1    SEAGATE
NO MORE PRODUCED                                      Native|  Translation

------+-----+-----+-----
Form                 5.25"/HH              Cylinders     820|     |     |
Capacity form/unform    42/      MB        Heads           6|     |     |
Seek time   / track  28.0/     ms          Sector/track   17|     |     |
Controller           MFM / ST506           Precompensation
Cache/Buffer               KB              Landing Zone
Data transfer rate    0.625 MB/S int       Bytes/Sector      512
                       0.625 MB/S ext
Recording method     MFM                            operating  |
non-operating

-------------+--------------
Supply voltage     5/12 V       Temperature *C                 |
Power: sleep              W     Humidity     %                 |
        standby            W     Altitude    km                 |
        idle               W     Shock        g                 |
        seek               W     Rotation   RPM      3600
        read/write         W     Acoustic   dBA
        spin-up            W     ECC        Bit
                                 MTBF         h      70000
                                 Warranty Month
Lift/Lock/Park     YES          Certificates

                         L   A   Y   O   U   T
SEAGATE  ST251-MLC 1  JUMPER SETTING

    |            +--------+Jumper           | | +--- GND
    |            |1ooooooo|Options          | | | +- +5V
    |            |oooooooo|                 XXXXXXX   |