[Coco] Re: CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 17:56:06 EDT 2006

Torsten at Dittel.info writes:

>I  started to dive into the topic when I realized that there  were
>MIDI-notes "hanging" while using the bitbanger-MIDI-Out of the  Lyra
>program on my CoCo2. I disassembled the ML-code and found out it  was
>trying to send the bits in 28.5 (=57/2) cycles by sending the "0"s  in 28
>and the "1"s in 29 cycles. This worked only perfect in cases like  $55 or
>$AA. I wrote a new routine which was transmitting the first bit  in 28,
>the second in 29, the third in 28 cycles and so  on

Cute.  Pretty sure I didn't have a bug like this in my UltiMusE serial
output code, but then I don't think that I ever wrote a "slow clock"  version.  You
certainly hit on an elegant solution to make the bit rate  average out
correctly.

BTW, just a reminder, I released all the Coco3 OS9-L2 UME source code -- I
think Boisy and one other person have it.  There is a lot of useful virtual
memory mapping, graphics, and mouse code in there, even for those who don't care
 about music.
--Mike K.