[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 23:33:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/4/06 10:23:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
webmaster at coco3.com writes:

>>Yeah, good stuff!  And I got excited a year ago when I  figured out how  to
>>read MIDI at 312500 bps (while parsing the  MIDI 2- and 3-byte groups).
>
>That's ~2.86 clock cycles in  between bit samples.  Can this be done?  Well,
>I think you  have 2x that cycle count if you use the 2mhz mode.

Oops -- I finally figured out your reply after closely checking my own
typing.
Seems I turned a '60s pinball machine into '90s model, with an extra  zero!

MIDI is 31,250 b/s, or 1,000,000/32.  Works out to 57 clocks per bit  IIRC,
at the double clock speed used in OS9-L2.  Pretty sure about the 57,  since I
had to count cycles to write the transmit loop back in 1986.  Let's  see, 3.58
MHz times 32 divide by 2 = 57.28, check.
--Mike K.