[Coco] CoCo bitbanger does 115200 bps !

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Apr 4 22:10:50 EDT 2006

At 06:43 PM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>Does this, by any chance, open a possibility to use a 56 Kbps external
>modem????
>
>Diego

Diego,

We've always been able to use those modems.  I used a 33.6 for years with
my CoCo.  You can set Ultimaterm 4.0 to the 450 bps setting which is a bug
that really means 115200 bps or the 16x External Clk setting of the
6551.  My own unreleased NetMate terminal program had this mode built in
called 115.2k.

Anyway, this is the bottleneck speed between the CoCo and the modem but you
can connect to another modem/computer at 56k no matter what the CoCo is
doing.  The two concepts are different.  Ofcourse, you do want to be able
to receive the modem data as fast as it is sending it and this is why the
115200 bps mode of the 6551 worked great.

As for my 115200 bps bitbanger protocol.  The answer to your question is No
because normal communications rules do not really apply.  The code is very
tricky and special handshaking has to be used which normal telecomm
programs don't support.

--
Roger Taylor