[Coco] Re: Ran across an interesting book today...

Tony C cappy2112 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 01:08:55 EDT 2006

>>"What Every Engineer Should Know About Microcomputer Systems Design
and >>Debugging" by Bill Wray and Bill Crawford, two Motorola
engineers.
>>This book discusses the 6809

When Boisy posted the message about this book, I couldn't place the
title, but it had vaugley sounded familiar.

Since I'm looking for work, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to
brush up on the hardware side of things for a change, so I ordered the
book from half.com

Well, it arrived today and I had only torn off a small part of the
wrapping, when I suddenly remembered where I knew this book from.

I was working for a company (Singer, Librascope) in Glendale, CA from
83-87, after just finishing 4 years in the Navy (which was where I
bought my first grey coco1). One day, a distributor came to a
conference room and literally filled up many tables with
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
technical books, and data manuals, mostly on Motorla processors.
This probably had something to do with the fact we were building test
equipment with 68000 driven VME card cages.
Well, I was in heaven, Here I had a pokey little 6809 machine, and I
could get my hands on lotsa FREEEE books on Motorola processors. I
think I even got the one by Rodney Zaks that day. Well this book that
Boisy mentioned was here as well, but I had long since parted with it.
Now, almost 20 years later, I had to pay close to 10 bucks for it, :-)
but it's an easy read, and brings back some good memories.