[Coco] OT: NetBSD on Quadra 700???

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Wed Sep 28 02:42:54 EDT 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

> First, I wasn't aware of any 50 mhz 040 being available.  My own
> 25mhz always told me rather quickly when the cpu fan had stopped.

There is a fan on top of the heat sink so I have no idea what the speed
of the chip is. Should I check?

> Second, I'd imagine the memory is way too slow if the clock is
> doubled, you would need 35ns ram instead of the 80-100 thats probably
> in it now.  I had to go down to 70ns on my PP&S card before it was
> stable, and then it was *very* stable, often up 24/7 for 2 to 3 weeks
> straight being used for everything I did at the time.  And this
> sounds like a slow memory problem to me.

I seriously doubt they doubled the speed of the memory bus. It would
result in way to many failures and dissatisfied customers. The clock on
the motherboard is still the same as before. This thing just plugs into
the cpu socket.

Wouldn't slow memory cause problems elsewhere? And why only with the
gcse (global common sub-expression elimination) optimization? I would
have also expected both segfaults and/or compilation failures caused by
garbled output from various passes.

> What type of ram is in it?  Simms. dips, zips?  My PP&S card had
> 64megs of zips on it, lotsa money at the time for 70ns stuff.

They are 16M 30 pin simms. I'm not saying it isn't a memory problem. But
  I've never seen one so specific.

What's a PP&S?

					kevin