[Coco] CoCo3 and OS-9

Tony Schountz tony.schountz at unco.edu
Sat Sep 24 00:43:01 EDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I could not understand why the Emulator Hard Disk Image was so
> Large (27 Megs - HUH), I wasted the download time to take a look at
> it.

Sorry you wasted time. I hope you're not using a conventional modem.

> Most of the size of the image appears to consist of web pages, not
> CoCo
> related as far as I could tell with a quick scan.
>
> I wonder if there is any personal data in the file. To me it
> appears to
> be a dangerous thing to make available to one and all.

Well, should mostly be infectious disease/immunology/genetics stuff
(ok, and a few visits to CNN and Google News, and of course,
page3.com :-)

> If you delete all the unnecessary files and then zero the unused space
> using the following program you will find that the file ZIPs up to a
> much smaller size.

Great idea. I should have thought of this myself.

> If you write a simple program to write to any file $00 bytes, a
> program that
> never stops until it fills the emulator disk.
>
> Then when you delete the file, you will find that ZIP and other
> archivers
> will compress the file tremendously!

Yup, got it down to 1.9 mb. Thanks for the program!

(snip program that did the job)