[Coco] CoCo3 and OS-9

Diego Barizo diegoba at adinet.com.uy
Wed Sep 21 15:12:29 EDT 2005

Andrew wrote:

> All,
>
> With all this talk about the OS-9 and such, I thought I would ask,
> partially for my benefit as well as for others who may not have given
> it as much thought as myself - how do you set up a real (and/or
> emulated) CoCo with OS-9?

For the real deal, the smallest setup for Nitros9 is any CoCo 3, or a
CoCo 2 with 64Kb (for level  1) and a single drive.
I would recommend you to get a CoCo3 with dual floppy drives, or a 512Kb
that you could use with 1 floppy and a "big" (+128Kb) RAMDrive
The RTC is not much more than a toy... for me at least. Once you enter
the time and date at boot, the system kind of keeps it.
I have a 512 Kb with 2 drives, and it's happy running Dynacalc,
Multivue, 2 text windows, while most of the commands are loaded into RAM
and a 96 Kb RAM disk is loaded, all at the same time.
For the emulators... give this one a try if you use windows:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/poco6809/bjork/index.html
It's still beta, but it's tiny and loads Nitros9 better than MESS. At
least, some DSK files that gave me errors (247) in MESS, work OK in this
emu.

Diego