[Coco] dsave problem, or is it dircopy??

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 21:05:59 EDT 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 19:33, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

>> I have those John.  It is the fdutils package thats got me cornered
>> right now, I can't get setfdprm to accept a perfactly valid, has
>> worked in
>> the
>> past, COCO720 as an argument so that I can read the os9 disk format.
>
>Gene,
>
>Refer to the following website:  http://www.nitros9.org/dsk.html
>
>The Linux section should get you going.
>
>Boisy

Unforch, the floppy.c driver in the recent kernels has had the
ability to handle formats that have a sector zero removed.  For what
reason I have NDI, but I just posted a slightly nasty msg to lkml in
protest as that disables some of the vintage computer formats.

Humm, from a grep of the mediaprm file, only os9!!!

[root at coyote 041605~1]# grep -B2 zero-base /usr/local/etc/mediaprm

# TRS-8- Color Computer os9 formats (to be confirmed). Needs
# zero-based floppy patch

"COCO360":
 DS DD sect=18 cyl=40 ssize=256 tpi=48 zero-based

"COCO720":
 DS DD sect=18 cyl=80 ssize=256 tpi=96 zero-based

There is a patch available, but it was diffed against 2.6.4, which
itself is vintage by now.  It won't apply to 2.6.13's family at all.

Here is the current error output after getting a few other ducks in a
row:

[root at coyote 041605~1]# setfdprm /dev/fd0 COCO80DS
Syntax error in /usr/local/etc/mediaprm at line 796 col 40: zero-base
unexpected
Usage: setfdprm [-c] [-p] [-y] [-n] drive [geometry]
Type setfdprm --help to get a more complete help
[root at coyote 041605~1]# setfdprm /dev/fd0 COCO720
Syntax error in /usr/local/etc/mediaprm at line 796 col 40: zero-base
unexpected
Usage: setfdprm [-c] [-p] [-y] [-n] drive [geometry]
Type setfdprm --help to get a more complete help

The indicated line actually points at the COCO360 definition above
it, but either way, the 'z' in the words 'zero-based' starts at column
40 in either definition...  From the error message, it also appears
the 'd' is extranious. Nope, the error printout is clipping the last
character so I put it back for later.

Shoot me a current addr & I'll send you the disk tomorrow.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)