[Coco] dsave problem, or is it dircopy??

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 17 22:40:25 EDT 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Roy, anybody else with late nitros experience;
>
> I've found the WP_RS stuff ok, but somethings not right in that I'm
> having one hell of a time trying to copy it to a floppy.
>
> Ever since the seagate drive was installed, dircopy has refused to
> acknowledge any options, so while I can get the stuff to a floppy,
> the file dates etc are not preserved.  Because there are many copies
> of some of it,

It? What is "it"?

> the file dates I consider important because its the
> only way I can, after 9 years, see which file of the many is the
> newest.
>
> dsave I didn't like way back then, so it was never installed in the
> cmds dir on my old drive.  I presume its in /dd/cmds, but the syntax to
> run it has
> been changed and for the life of me, I cannot remember the new syntax
> it requires.  I've been playing 20 monkeys at the typewriter for the
> last half an hour now.

Many of the commands in the recent NitrOS-9 versions have had their
built-in help messages removed and transfered into the sys/helpmsg file.
This file is accessed using the OS-9 command Help. Help has built-in
prompting but a typical usage follows:

help dsave

> Can someone toss me a bone here?  Tell me how to run the new dsave &
> maybe I can get this to work.

You can get more detailed info as shown above but dsave now expects to
be in the directory of interest and only a single path is used which
points to where the copies should go.

> Or better yet, tell me why dircopy
> isn't working with its usual trsu option syntax.

Presumably dircopy is an OS-9 utility? It is quit likely that old third
party utilities written for OS-9 may have problems with NitrOS-9 either
because they can't run in 6309 native mode or because recent versions of
NitrOS-9 have changed the OS-9 defs. Some of my own programs must be
recompiled because of the defs changes.