[Coco] [Color Computer] Multi-vue help

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 17 08:14:19 EDT 2005

Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
>  Hi guys, I though I would start another thread on multi-vue.
> I have just got my first copy of MV and I was following the manual and
> the instructions on page 1-6 for the 512k upgrade edit keep coming back
> as "Failed" any sugestions.

I expect that you tried the instructions word for word. If you look
carefully, you will see that the line
edit /do/sys/env.file
can't be correct. There is a typo and the /do should be /d0.
However, the above should produce error #221 "module not found."

Next possible error involves the treatment of the lines
RAM=128
*RAM=512
which must be changed to reflect the larger size of 512k. The
instructions don't tell the reader what they are attempting to
accomplish with Edit; which could cause problems. You want the two lines
to read
*RAM=128
RAM=512
per the instructions on page 1-6. Alternatively you could just have a
single line
RAM=512

> Also. I wish to make the boot disk for
> NitrOS-9. Can I do this and what would be the steps involved?

This has been discussed very recently on this list. 1) There is no boot
disk for NitrOS-9 as such. 2) Either use both 40 track disks (1 & 2) or
the 80 track disk so that you have access to all needed modules and
commands. Then try running the standard.bl script buried in the NitrOS-9
directory tree. At least use this script as a model for your own to be
used with os9gen.

If you have a floppy drive known to function at 40 tracks, there is no
reason why you can't create a custom 40/80 track boot disk.

> I already
> tried to bake a backup in NitrOS , but I get errors (i know I probably
> have to make the disk in 35 tracks, not 40)

Think about the errors that you are getting during the backup attempt.
If you ignore them and treat all errors the same, you won't be able to
solve any problems.

Since you have not indicated what error(s) you are seeing, I'll assume
that you are getting the standard Backup error of dissimilar disk
structure. If this is your error, it means that the format of the
receiving disk is not the same as that of the disk to be copied.

If you are trying to backup the NitrOS-9 distribution 40/80 track disks,
you must first use Format to create a similar disk. This will violate
the first rule of backups so make sure to write protect your
distribution disk. Boot the distribution disk, type Dmode /d0, to get
the info on the distribution disk structure, and then format a new disk
using the data obtained from Dmode. When you try the backup procedure
with identically formatted disk, it should work.