[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Fri Sep 16 21:38:56 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 14:28 -1000, Alex Evans wrote:
>
>> We need to figure out how and why before we start to try to
>> simplify it.  As for translating error codes, there is a poor
>> correspondence between the two sets because OS-9 is an operating
>> system, and DECB is primarily a programming language.
>>

> Agreed.
>
> I think the most straightforward thing would be to have the system boot
> up to a file-oriented shell. MV is okay, but I think it's kind of a dog.
> Something more like the screen on a Model 100 when it comes on. Easy
> access to your files, BASIC-09, a text editor and whatever programs
> you've installed.
>
> For a mixed shell as has been described, I'd say start it up in BASIC.
> But if you type DOS it switches to a shell, and if you exit, you end up
> back in BASIC. The main difference being, that you boot to OS-9, and the
> context switch happens instantly. Ideally all file access would actually
> thunk to OS-9 file system. Raw sector DSKI$, DSKO$ would either be
> unsupported or a compatibility mode would have to be requested
>
> I think it would just be too confusing to try to meld the two together.
> But it would be darned convenient to be able to switch between them and
> have RS-DOS read/write directly to OS-9 filesystem.
>
> -- John.

One reason that I do not just start coding is to understand how the entire
system might work and allows simple changes to produce great benefits.

The dual access to a file system is manageable but difficult. At this point
that is something that I am thinking about. It is part of a much larger
problem that one  solution may make many things possible with less
work. A fall back position would be a method to appear to be doing this but
actually not. But the user thinks it is being done.

I do not wish to start defining features until more is known even though I
may talk about specific implementations. That is a useful method for getting
information on what must be addressed. So far the comments on "You can't do
that or it won't work" are generating more useful information than the
comments "You should do it this way".

The comments above are pretty much like I am thinking, but no commitment
until the main problem is solved. More to come. No details here. Sorry.

Stephen H. Fischer