[Coco] Color Computer 3 Easter Eggs

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:40:15 EDT 2005

I can add one tidbit to the interesting stuff that is there.  I had access to a
preliminary version of the CoCo 3 ROM code, and the 3 mugateers picture and the
code to bring it up on ctl-alt-reset weren't in that, even though the other
Easter Eggs brought up by CLS were.

In the same section of code, there is also a little-known (undocumented?)
feature that reverses the PMODE 4 artifact colors if you press reset and (I
think) F4.  Only visible on a composite monitor or TV. This was needed for some
games developed for the CoCo 1/2 that booted up with a solid orange or blue
screen randomly, and you had to repeatedly press reset until the color was the
one the instructions called for in order for the game to display its colors as
intended.  On the CoCo 3, you could accomplish this reversal with the F4-reset
feature.

Art