[CoCo] OT - Hams & Plans

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Sep 12 14:40:39 EDT 2005

Rumor has it that James C. Hrubik, Sr. may have mentioned these words:
>[snippage]

>So, in a small way, maybe this is CoCo related, if it leads to more
>discussion of battery-powered CoCos.

Well, if you're popping up this thread to get Homeland [in]Security to fork
over cash for all of us to get 63C09 upgrades, I'm all for it.
;-)

>I think, though, that the people on this list probably have a good deal of
>expertise, scattered world-wide, as to how to revive power and
>communication services after such a disaster.  Feedback?

However, I would think that the Tandy Model 10x/200 would be a much more
feasible option:

1) already designed for battery power
2) you don't have to hack in a low-power display
3) a *lot* of hams already use 'em
         (see http://www.club100.org/mtralist.html)
4) a *real* RS-232 port, easier to write packet applications for, even in Basic
5) smaller & easier to pack a few into a lead box, just in case. ;-)
5.5) Better keyboard than any stock CoCo. ;^>

=-=-=

And now that they have the ability of having *more* memory than a stock
CoCo3 (I now have one with 2Meg RAM, and 4Meg Flash ROM! :-)) I would think
that putting more work into that platform would give more fruitful results
_quicker_ than trying to hack up a CoCo[123] to work like a laptop.

This, of course, is JMHO.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!