[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sat Sep 10 19:17:31 EDT 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:52:29 -0700
"Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1 at MindSpring.com> wrote:

> Hi,

[...]
> All of the items you indicate I have been thinking about. I have been unable
> to start a discussion as to a new shell for one and all that would be nicer.

Maybe people are happy with what the NitrOS-9 team is doing? I, personally, am
quite happy with the original OS-9 Level II shell! (Despite whatever may be
wrong with it. *grins*)

> We seem to be stuck in many ways at the point in time when OS-9 was created
> for us. Time is way past the point where we should have started looking at
> changes that improve OS-9, even drastic ones. The basic operation of OS-9
> should be open for discussion. I look for small changes that provide large
> benefits.

[...]

Tandy started a movement to an easier shell... They called it gshell, and/or
MultiVue. If newbies want something easier than the OS-9 shell, then let them
use MultiVue. Once they can grasp the understanding of what is actually going
on, then let them move on to the more advanced OS-9 shell.

I personally do not see where the problem is here. Linux is pretty much the
same way in my eyes. You have BASH (or equiv.) and then you have the X
windowing system (or equiv.) Take your pick, or use them both to get what you
want done.

Now when is someone going to port OpenOffice.org over to OS-9? ;)

-M.