[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Fri Sep 9 18:43:01 EDT 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Robert Emery wrote:

> I know, I was being a bit facetious there I guess... Regarding
> B-09, C and
> Pascal,  all being compiled languages I don't think we'll see any
> One-Liners
> there either. Of course I've seen OS-9 commands that were longer
> than some
> Basic one-liners. ;)
>
> If I could make a wish...
> I'd like to see a "hybrid" Basic where we could type in and run
> programs at
> will and then compile them for the speed and size benefits. I
> believe this has
> been done, not sure about platform or compatibility.

Actually, this is sort of what BasicO9 is.  You can interactively run
programs, or pack them into an intermediate code similar to that
which is often used with Java.  On top of that OS-9 Pascal normally
"compiles" to P-code, another of these intermediate system
independent codes which are part of the way between compilation and
interpretation.