[Coco] Why DECB is important to OS-9 folk.

PaulH96636 at aol.com PaulH96636 at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 17:48:01 EDT 2005

In my case, perhaps the subject might be:   why OS9 was not  so important to
DECB folk.

Consider this:
   I was developing several small databases on a Coco 1/2   but was limited
to 32kb for
programming and data.  Then heard about OS-9's ability to use all 64kb  ram;
great!
That is, great, until learning about the overhead of basic-09 and other
modules, awa the
ominous learning curve.  Shortly thereafter, I heard about  Key-264k  with
its ability
to also use the upper 32kb ram and make it accessible to those of us who
already knew
enough about DECB, to make use of the extra headroom, and its overhead  of
only ca. 1
graphics page in each 32kb bank.  This made a bunch of extra room for  both
programs
and data, and filled my needs perfectly.

One of the DBs made possible the combining of several years of Heathkit  tube
test data
charts (whose paper rolls became quite tattered) into one convenient file
which could
fit on one floppy disk as well as make a paper copy (which produced some
60-70
pages of single space lines; took a bit over 2 hours on dot matrix; circa
1985).
One variation of the program made it possible to look up the data for
various tube type
tests and display them on the tv screen using the 51 column display  mode.
Yep, those were the  days.       -ph