[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri Sep 2 19:16:56 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:34:40AM -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> Here's my advice: when others say they will work on something, just
> encourage them. If they don't deliver, no one is any worse off than they
> were before. If they make good, everyone can be helped. Nagging them,

I'm inclined to disagree to a point here...  All too often I've seen
someone on the list proclaim that they were "working on" or even
"almost done", "design complete", or whatever with something that
I had been keeping in the back of my mind to do.  So I take those
things off the TODO list in hopes of seeing them produce something.
More often than not, those things never quite appear.  This leaves
the whole thing in limbo, since I don't want to be the jackhole who
steals someone else's project.

Now take that problem, and realize that some of those people are
particularly bad about proclaiming that they are working on this, that,
and the other thing.  Only, none of them are ever quite finished...

My hope would be that others follow the example set by Roy Justus
(sp?).  Roy didn't say he was thinking about a VGA adapter, that he
had the design all worked-out in his head, that it would be ready
real soon, etc.  He actually built something, THEN he started talking
about it.  And it works...I've seen it.

I think the whole community would be better off following Roy's
example.  I'm tired of being discouraged (and seeing others
discouraged) from working on good projects because someone else is
shouting about how he almost has it done.

John

P.S.  Please save any crap answers about "just ignore them, don't be
discouraged"...  It would be much easier for you to join with me in
encouraging the loud-mouths and braggarts to sit down and get to work.

"Code talks, but talk doesn't code!"
--
John W. Linville
linville at tuxdriver.com