[Coco] Re: Why USB would be nice.

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Fri Sep 2 14:32:35 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 21:19 -0500, George Ramsower wrote:
>
>> If I were to purchase the hypothetical USB card and the driver for OS-9,
>>would this do as I want or expect, such as.....

Unless you are an idiot (or very, VERY patient), you can't expect a sub
2MHz computer with a 64k address space to be able to do the same things
with a USB critter that a 3.0GHz machine with a 4G address space can.

>> How would I manage these things, with the driver that came with the USB
>>card for the coco?
>>

> USB devices form a device tree with unique device and manufacturer IDs
> per device, and unique assigned addresses that they get when plugged in.
>
> -- John.

	As I understand it, USB is kinda similar to SCSI, at least for
semantics (not an english major - probably not the word I was looking
for) (There is a SCSI host adapter driver and drivers to support various
device types (disk, cdrom, tape drive, scanner)). "The driver that came
with the card" (port driver) would be analogous to the host adapter
driver. You would also need drivers for each type (class?) of device you
want to torture your tre with.

	Since USB is hot-pluggable, how would that be handled? Correct me if
I'm wrong, but OS9, while I think it can load drivers and descriptors
"on the fly", doesn't the text for each get a fresh page (i.e. can't
pack text on the tre)? Won't this fill up the system map quickly?

					kevin