[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 04:05:07 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
<glenvdb at h...> wrote:

> Ok, maybe, I am missing the point.

:}

> WHY? WHY spend money on stuff  we already have

I have USB joysticks, USB hubs, USB card readers, a USB floppy, a USB
keyboard/mouse interface, a USB camera, USB hard drives...

WHY? WHY would I spend money on old CoCo stuff when I already have USB
stuff from my PC????

> (I don't want to throw out my
> old printer, joystick, keyboard,mouse etc) just to spend money on a
new on.

First... who said you had to throw anything out?  Adding a USB
interface to an old CoCo doesn't stop the old stuff from working.
Second... the old hardware won't last forever.  Not like you can find
CoCo joysticks in stores these days.  USB Joysticks however... they
are common.

My floppy drive is dying and a replacement 5 1/4" drive on ebay is
more expensive that a USB floppy even if I didn't already own one!

I have a couple 3 1/2" drives I can attach but they need a case and
power supply... also more than the USB floppy drive was.

I thought of creating an Amiga drive adaptor (Amiga drives are more
common than CoCo drives and would be compatible) but then I'd have to
rig up a power supply for it, it ends up about as much work as the USB
interface and I have to buy a power supply.  Total cost only slightly
less than building my own USB controller and it's still old drives!

I HAVE a USB floppy drive and I've seen them sell for as little as $15
on sale at CompUSA so don't tell me they are too expensive!!  Mine was
under $20 several years ago!
But then I suppose Canadian dollars are about half what a US dollar is.

> So far you have not given any Valid reason other than "IT CAN BE DONE".

You just ignored what everyone said because you think we want you to
buy everything new.  And when it's time to replace dead hardware?
Then what?  Buy more old hardware you don't know will last or if it
works at all?

I have a modern printer... I don't feel the need to buy an old loud
dinasaur I can't buy parts for.  BTW, in the USA Walmart *was* selling
USB inkjet printers for under $40.  It would cost at least half that
much just to ship a heavy old printer if I were to buy one on ebay and
the inkjet has better print quality, is quieter and I can actually buy
ink for it.

> I know most existing controllers dont work with new floppies, but I
see MUCH
> more of a need to build one than USB.

Why?  Because you can?  I don't see the need.  I already have two old
floppy controllers for the CoCo... why buy a new interface that
doesn't do anything more than what I can do now?

> Have you seen the price of a USB
> floppy? over $50 dollars here in Canada. less than $10 for a regular
one.
> Cost
> $50 for USB floppy
> maby $50 for USB controller = alot more than I wish to pay.
> $50 for a "new" Floppy controller

Cloud-9's keyboard interface is that much!  You think they will sell a
floppy controller for that?  I'm thinking no.
BTW, wouldn't that be closer to $100 Canadian?  Cloud-9 is a US company.

Try these USB drives (for starters)... one even includes the card
readers as well as floppy (though it's an internal unit).
http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/2463
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=170108&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

> I am not looking for a magic bullet, just some justification on why
USB is
> so sought after.

And what WOULD be a valid justification for you anyway?

Sorry if I sound testy but if you don't want it... don't buy it!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/CFFolB/TM