[Coco] Re: Why USB would be nice.

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 23:29:03 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/1/05 11:21:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
glenvdb at hotmail.com writes:

>I  will let the "experts" handle this more, but plugging in your camera just

>might kill your CoCo.
>IF the USB COULD recognize the camera as  a mass storage device, it Could
>never read the picture files on it.  Most camera
>use Jpeg or Tiff format, and IF the CoCo could read them,  they would
>probably be way to big for the memory of the CoCo to handle  and I don't
>think the CoCo can handle Jpeg or Tiff  formats.

Actually, Rogers Projector-3 can show JPG, IIRC.
Photos shot at small resolutions, like 640x480, are about 150KB and would
fit one to a Coco default floppy disk, or plenty on a HD.

HOWEVER, I think the best use for USB on a Coco would be for one of those
"chewing gum pack" memory sticks.  Instant backup, maybe boot OS-9 from one
(there's a SW project for you).  Those sticks hold up to 512MB, bigger than  most
HDs found on Cocos.
--Mike K.