[Color Computer] [Coco] Why USB would be nice.

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:50:18 EDT 2005

>Glen
>
>For starts I do not own anything from Cloud9 though I would if it fit
>my needs. I have nothing against their products.
>
>WHy USB? What you state is somewhat true. Most proposals have
>been to redo the keyboard and mouse as well as other peripheral
>devices. What benefit these have? As time goes by,  Coco parts
>that wear out quickly like mice and keyboards will ever become
>more difficult to obtain. Floppies and other items will be no longer
>made or no longer cost effective to replace.

25 years later, it is now starting to get harder to find 5 1/4 floppies. I
don't think we can write of 3 1/2 just yet.

>Yes what I am saying is the Coco we now know and love will some
>time in the future no longer repairable. It will have to change or
>become a memory.
>
>My reasons for some items t hat I am doing is that I want the Coco
>to do certain th ings. I also want a smaller unit than the exist lovable
>case and power supply. I also realize that in five or so years replace
>the CM8 monitor is going to be impossible. I imagine now if you can
>find a CRT to go into the CM8 monitor it will most likely cost
>upwards to $500 US brand new.

Oh, I agree whole hearted,  We do have the tools and the technology to
re-design the CoCo, but just to "Emulate" it on a new board is not the
solution. Why not just get a VIA Eden Mobo (17cm x 17cm) Slap some OS and
run an emulator. The whole rig could fit into an orginal CoCo case and be
done with it. But where is the "challenge" in that. That's why I think there
is a great need for a VGA adapter.Even if it means a separate "box" with a
separate processor

>I live in a small house and am not afforded the luxury of being able
>to set up multiple computer systems. So my invision of what the
>Coco3 could migrate or evoled into is amuch smaller board with
>more integrated funtions like a Floating Point Coprocessor, use a
>standard PS2  or USB  mouse and Keyboard or USB printers

We could get the CoCo to fit in the MC-10 Case, but I would just hate to see
that..

Although I do see the need for this, I too am trying to "rebuild" the board
with standard and "off the shelf" parts. NOT an emulation, just re-design of
the motherboard.