[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Re: Why USB would be nice.

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:20:53 EDT 2005

Ok, maybe, I am missing the point.
WHY? WHY spend money on stuff  we already have (I don't want to throw out my
old printer, joystick, keyboard,mouse etc) just to spend money on a new on.
I have a perfectly good 1990 pontiac car. it runs, it gets me where I need
to go. Why by a new car just because it has a cup holder? Yes my car is old
and the paint is falling off, but it still has a lot of life left in it
I tell you what, when you get that USB, I will gladly take all your old
periferals off your hands.
So far you have not given any Valid reason other than "IT CAN BE DONE".
I know most existing controllers dont work with new floppies, but I see MUCH
more of a need to build one than USB. Have you seen the price of a USB
floppy? over $50 dollars here in Canada. less than $10 for a regular one.
Cost
$50 for USB floppy
maby $50 for USB controller = alot more than I wish to pay.
$50 for a "new" Floppy controller
$10 Drive (X2 for a double system) is still only $70 and cheap to replace.

Floppy disks can be bought anywhere here in Canada (my local corner store
has them, Safeway, 7-11 just about anyware. You need only walk about 5 min
in any direction). Compact flash is avalible at Futureshop, Bestbuy etc, so
it is not as easy a a floppy to obtain.
Yes, A set of XP boot disks are avalible for free from Microsoft, or you can
download them from the website. (although they just might only be avalible
to OEM System Builders like myself- I will have to look into it).
I am not looking for a magic bullet, just some justification on why USB is
so sought after. So far, other than the "cool factor" no real  facts have
been brought forward. I went over all of this in the last thread though, and
no one then could bring forward a valid point.
-Glen

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/CFFolB/TM