[Coco] Why USB would be nice.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Thu Sep 1 15:01:59 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:28 -0600, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
> Maybe in the US, compact flash is cheap, but here in Canada, mail -in
> rebates are the biggest scam in the book. I can walk down the street anyday
> (except Sunday) and pick up new floppies and drives. But in Canada, you
> might as well wait for the sun to burn out before you see any rebates.

Well maybe you should move.  Seriously though, I have had problems
shipping anything in and out of Canada, so I see what you're saying.
Maybe the rebate expires before you could get product barcode in your
hands. It's easier to ship from US to Norway than to Canada.

> Yes, I did re-read the threads, and I still can't see any reason for USB.

Hmm. Where to start?

USB is a bus. A way of connecting other devices to your computer.

To say "there is no reason for USB" is to say there is no reason to
connect good, widely available, mass-market-cheap devices to your coco.

There are plenty of devices around that would be interesting to hook up.
And lots of new ones coming out all the time. I gave some examples.

I'm not saying the cloud-9 stuff isn't fantastic. I'm just arguing that
it would also be good if we had USB. I seem to be collecting a lot of
USB equipment around my office... it would be cool to be able to hook
some up to the coco.

-- John.