[Coco] Re: OS-9 word processors (Kevin Diggs)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 06:33:29 EDT 2005

Kevin Diggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         What about Home Publisher? Would that count?
>
>                                         kevin

I wouldn't call Home Publisher a word processor. While it allowed
direct entry of text into any of its 'windows' or panels, there is no
way to edit besides correcting a mistake by backtracking to the error,
correct it and move forward - no way to insert text at any given
point, so if you're 'writing' a lengthy paragraph and after 8 or 10
lines you notice there's a typo in the first words the whole thing si
for the most part, shot. Combining this with the annoying slow
operation of Home Publisher it can draw a user crazy.

When I used Home Publisher (early 90s) to publish a small local
commercial radio newsletter, I always edited the text (stories)
externally, those days I was using TS/Edit; importing the text into HP
was a breeze and then wihtin HP I would just format the arrangement of
the text block.

It was clunky, slow, dull, etc, but even so, HP running under OS9 was
far more interesting to use that other DTP offerings for competing
platforms. Always wished the CoCo would have something like Newsroom
on the C=64, but even as Newsroom was flashier and had a few fancy
thing going for it, I saw HP more open into allowing the user stick to
a rather open layout control of a page (within the confines of HP). On
the later years of the CoCo (mid 90s) the CoCo Newsroom came to be...
still haven't tried that DTP program!

--

-=[ Rogelio ]=-