[Coco] Re: Help - There that got your attention.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 15 01:13:19 EDT 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 14:15, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>
>[snippage]
>
>>Those Sempron 1.6ghz boxes will be short
>>in the encoding to mpg thruput dept by quite a bit.
>
>Yea, altho if you clustered 2 of 'em, you might get close, depending on
>resolution & whatnot.
>
>I can encode in realtime on my Dual Athlon MP 2600+ box if I use a
> quickie (read: crappy video quality) encoder at VCD resolution
> (352x240[ish] - I don't do VCD. I do SVCD, which is 480x480) which is
> what I've transcoded for years off of my TiVo.
>
>However, I don't like quickie stuff; I go more for the best quality I
> can get, so I have very little experience in doing stuff realtime - but
> if it's not quality you want, I could prolly figure it out. I do all my
> MPEG schtuff on Winders yet, tho...
>
>>   Your only route to
>>success is a video capture card with a hardware mpg encoder on it, and
>>AFAIK, no Happauge card has that.
>
>Then you'd be wrong... The Hauppauge WinTV PCI 250 has MPEG encoding
>onboard, but decoding has to be done on the host processor. The WinTV
> PCI 350 has MPEG encoding and decoding, and you can build a TiVo out of
> a 200Mhz box *easily* as the CPU just plays "traffic cop."

I wasn't aware of that.  My one experience with the happauge cards
was a cheaper one, and its ability to filter out the computers
background noise was very limited, needing around 100,000 microvolts
to get a usable picture.  The pcHDTV 3000 I have now is almost
overloaded by the 6500 microvolt output of a "dish" receiver.

>Drummed up from a google search is this forum:
>
>http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=13
>
>which looks like a good source of info, tho I didn't specifically search
>for Linux geeks on that site. If you search for people running MythTV
> with one of these cards, you might drum up quite a bit'o'info as well.
>
>I have a 250, but I don't have a spare machine (yet) I can dedicate to a
>replacement TiVo. It uses the BTTV driver in linux, IIRC.
>
>Granted, these cards are a wee bit more expensive (street price for the
> 250 is about $130ish, and street for the 350 is around $170+ last I
> checked) but Hauppauge definitely has hardware encoding & decoding on
> some of their cards.

Maybe, but having been burnt once on that brand, I purposely stayed
away from that brand when I wanted to replace it.  And, I've had zero
luck getting MythTV to run here.  And apparently there is no support
from the authors, my emails have gone un-answered.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)