[Coco] MESS imgtool

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Sat Oct 29 07:59:44 EDT 2005

>> Can anyone here tell me how to use imgtool from MESS to read a coco
>> floppy and create a dsk image file from it?

>I don't think that is possible. Far as I can tell, imgtool and wimgtool
>work only with images and raw files, not actual floppy disks. You will
>need to use RETRIEVE.EXE from the JVC package.

I don't know if this will be relevant, however FYI - over the past year
or so in relation to my activities with my classic computer collection, I
have created a program called ImageDisk which backs up and restores any
IBM format soft-sector disk using the PC controller.

The .IMD files produced by ImageDisk would not be directly usable by an
emulator, because it contains information describing the format of the disk
and track layout, however the details of this file are fully documented,
and I also provide ImageDisk utility (IMDU) which can among other things
convert the .IMD file into a raw binary dump of the sector data (which
you should be able to easily convert into any other image format).

I've just checked, and ImageDisk appears to work fine on CoCo disks. It
might be an easy way to turn physical diskettes into emulator images.
It's free, and available from my web site (in sig below), look for the
"Disks/Software images" section near the bottom.

Dave
--
dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield