[Coco] Re: Spinning CoCo demo

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Thu Oct 27 22:56:35 EDT 2005

 This is a long message, covering several posts that have been made
previously.
 I wish to point out a few things which concern me about internet security
and where this thread is going.
 I'm not complaining.
 I'm asking folks on this list to make it a bit easier for those of us that
might not have the latest, greatest, state of the art technology to see
these things..

From: "Diego Barizo"
> You can get it free here:
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm
>
> Diego
>
> And while there, get Media player classic

 I went to the link provided in this message and I could not find the free
download.
 Since I am using XP, it seems it's not free.
 This is what I found at the bottom of the page..

--------------<copy and paste>--------------

. Note:
- Indeo XP for Windows includes Indeo Video version 5.2 and Indeo Audio 2.5
and is available for purchase and download through Ligos Corporation
website.

---------------<UnPaste>-----------------------

 The "Spinning Coco"  file would not run on my box. (XP-Pro SP2 and current
today)

  As far as  "RealPlayer" goes, we should be wise to use only the latest
version if you can believe this article on pcmag.com

 So... moving right along now....

 I think whatever files we wish to use to transfer or display coco stuff,
should not require special software to DISPLAY or SAVE it on our PCs.
.
 It should be compatible with current browsers.

 I do trust the sites that are coco related. I don't need security to go to
those sites or download anything that is available on those sites.

 MESS is okay. It's honest (I believe this) and it's the only emulator I've
tried. I also believe that the other emulators are honest because the folks
doing this are good hearted people having a good time sharing.

 Utilities to do coco stuff is OKAY. I really think NO PERSON on this list
would write a bad program to infect our PCs (Disguising it as a coco program
or utility).

 But I have to tell you..

 1. If  I have to download a program from other than a coco related site to
see/use/save/transfer a coco related file.......

   .. Ain't gonna happen, bud.

> Benoit Bleau wrote:
>
>>It will not play on my XP either.
>>I did a little bit of research, and it looks like the codec is a more
>>recent
>>version of the Indeo codec than the one installed on XP.  When I launch
>>it,
>>I get a message from WMP and VLC that they 'cannot connect media to PIN'.
>>That probably means that my PC doesn't have the required codec. I checked
>>on
>>Ligos web site, but at 15$, it is a bit expensive, just to play one avi...

 Keep it simple and easy to use. Don't make me work so hard to do the
research in order to find out if it a good download.

 Even if it's FREE!

 BEWARE !!!

 Thanks,

George