[Coco] Intro and background

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Oct 24 22:04:08 EDT 2005

On 24 Oct 2005 at 14:49, Robert Gault wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:49:58 -0400
From:           	Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
To:             	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Subject:        	Re: [Coco] Intro and background
Send reply to:  	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
	<mailto:coco-request at maltedmedia.com?subject=subscribe>

> If you only use the LCD in native mode, that could indeed be a
> problem. What results do you get using the LCD with the JVC support
> program, VGACHECK.EXE?

******

VGACheck appears to work. Here is the interesting part. When
running JVC emulator version 1.6b,  I launch it from windozes and
then proceed to reboot into DOS. I get the F10 screen okay and
when I go to the COCO screen is where my monitor does  not
recognize the video mode. I can press any of the appropriate F keys
and those screens work. It is just when the old standby balck and
green screen of 32 character text screen does not work.

> I'd expect all emulators not using DirectX system calls will have
> problems with LCD monitors if the monitor is restricted to a native
> resolution. MESS does use DirectX calls.

*******

These are the basic DOS resolutions the monitor supporrts:
V)
IBM, 640 x 350 31.469 70.086 25.175 +/-
IBM, 640 x 480 31.469 59.940 25.175 -/-
IBM, 720 x 400 31.469 70.087 28.322 -/+

What I think may happen is the program may try and set the monitor to 60
Hz vertical resolution and that causes the problem.

I have no problems with MESS now. Had some earlier I think with
Version 0.86 or 0.88. So far  0.96b works and does what I want it to
do.

> Can't make any tests at this end as I don't own an LCD monitor.

Space constraints and older eyes. The LCD monitor seems to be
easier on my eyes than the CRT monitor.

james