[Coco] Re: weird 360K drive

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 17 08:53:41 EDT 2005

Diego Barizo wrote:
> I've got a 360K drive that's got some attitude.
> It won't read any of my disks, but will happily format , write and read
> disks that it wrote. Those disks don't seem to work on other drives
> Also, the drive will spin even when I'm accessing other drives (It
> doesn't attempt to read, just spins)
> I guess there is no easy way to fix this?
>
> Diego

Most likely the drive is mis-aligned but you may be lucky and only the
spin rate (rpm) is badly off. Open the drive and look for a strobe
pattern. Then try to find the 10-15 turn potentiometer that controls
rpm. If there is more than one such pot., don't turn anything until you
are sure you know which is which. That may take some research on the
manufacturer's web site.

If there is no strobe pattern, contact me by e-mail and I'll send you
one of my programs for adjusting drive rpm with a graphics screen pattern.