[Coco] Using a CM5 on a COCO3

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Wed Oct 12 13:06:59 EDT 2005

Rumor has it that Tony Cappellini may have mentioned these words:

>I've found a CM5 relatively cheap,

You get what you pay for.

>  but don't know if/how well it will work on a COCO3.

Short answer: Not.

Long answer: *maybe* and it takes some hacking, and you'll only have a few
colors, as the CM5 is a digital interface, and the CM8 is analog.

>How is the quality compared to a CM8?

Crappier. The CM5 has a .52 dot pitch, and the CM8 has a .42, IIRC. If you
can find a NEC 2a or (again, IIRC) 3a, those would be ideal as they had
either a .31 or .28 dot pitch and would still sync to NTSC freqs.

A CM5 will *barely* do 80 columns, the CM8 did 80 columns OK and 106 (under
OS-9) *almost* fair.

A Magnavox 8CM515 (again, IIRC) is also a good monitor to have.

There may be others in the NEC 2/3 series that may sync, but I cannot
remember them offhand.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...