[Coco] What's wrong with the 6809 Y Register?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Tue Oct 11 18:46:39 EDT 2005

Tony Cappellini wrote:

> During an interview with Chet Simpson about Digger II, in Nick Marentes'
> book CocoNuts,  Chet states "The Y register was avoided at all costs"
>
> What is the problem with using the Y register?

Most operations on the Y register have a 2 byte operation code rather
than a single byte. Thus they take longer to execute. There are cases,
however, where avoiding the Y register actually makes things slower
and/or take up more space so I wouldn't avoid it at "all costs"
personally. I do only use it as a last resort or after careful
consideration.

--
William Astle
finger lost at l-w.net for further information

Geek Code V3.12: GCS/M/S d- s+:+ !a C++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ !E W++ !N w---
!D !M PS PE V-- Y+ PGP t+@ 5++ X !R tv+@ b+++@ !DI D? G e++ h+ y?