[Coco] Fragmented bootfile support in NitrOS-9

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Oct 11 07:00:43 EDT 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:27 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> I'm glad I find time to scan this list from time to time, 'cause
> this freakin' rocks:
>
> On Oct 10, 2005, at 9:46 PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>

>> For those of you who have cursed OS-9 for its inability to handle
>> fragmented bootfiles, I have some good news.  Today, I
>> successfully added to boot_1773 the ability to read fragmented
>> bootfiles.
>>

> How much larger did the booter have to grow?

In all, about 40 bytes of code added.  The 1773 floppy booter is only
8 or 9 bytes from butting up at the end of the upper limit under
Level 2 ($1D0 bytes total), but that booter tends to take up the most
space, and additional optimizations could yield savings.  Other
booters like the SCSI/IDE and others have plenty of room.

It's cool to hear the seek pattern of the floppy change during boot!

Boisy