[Color Computer] [Coco]Re: Transfer utilities

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 9 12:20:07 EDT 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:45, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
>Oh, no I am treading into that "area" again over the 3.5 drives.
>I have been reading these list for a year now and no one wants to really
>tackle that subject. Some sites say you can upgrade the  26-3022
> controller to work with a 3.5" drive while others have said any
> controller will work. I have tried a FD500 and 502 and neither seem to
> see it (I have all the RS controllers kicking around -except the 501).
> It looks like the Distro 2 can use it, but so far no one has said what
> they are using for a controller and if it has been modified. This seems
> to be the biggest "secret" of the CoCo, one that I have not been able
> to see a clear answer in the last year anyway. My J&M systems
> controller does not seem compatible with my FD502 drive because of a
> "Tooth" in the cable that I cant seem to remove (not for lack of
> trying). When I switched to an FD 500 drive, my CoCo 3 doesn't respond
> (I assume it needs a multi-pak for the FD 500).
>-Glen

No big secret Glen, other than tossing the toothless shack cable and
getting one with all the teeth.  Then of course you have to move the
address jumpers on the drive so the drive is at the right address.  Far
more versatile than the shacks original lashup.  That was just another
way to lock you in because you had to get it all from the shack.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)