[Coco] OT: Bloodshed C++ IDE for Windows - ANSI compatibility?

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Tue Oct 4 08:17:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:31:09 -0700
"Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com> wrote:

[...]

> > Yes, gcc is ANSI compatible... If not, then some of my code isn't what I
> > think it is. :)
> >
> > I've used Dev C++ a little, as I've told Jim before, and it is as ANSI
> > compatible as gcc (Mingw) is. (I prefer to use the real thing, though. gcc
> > on a Linux system. ;) )
> >
> > /me closes the can of worms.
> >
> > -M.
>
> Manny:
>
> I'm trying to remember those switches use told me to use
> with gcc, but cannot remember.  I'll check the gcc site to
> refresh my bubble memory.
>
> -Jim

"-Wall" is probably the best one to use, because it will warn you for just about
everything. (It does get annoying, but don't get discouraged! :) )

If you're crazy, you can use "-pedantic" (someone correct me if I'm wrong
here,) which I believe will keep you to strict ANSI (89? 99?) compliance.

A good command line for  simple programs could go something like this:

gcc -Wall -o program program.c

The "-o program" part tells gcc what to direct it's output to. Or in easier to
understand terms, what to name the executable. Of course the "program.c" part
is your C source's name is (and where it resides.)

HTH,
-M.