[Coco] An OT video format question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 06:46:34 EDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 00:51, Dave Kelly wrote:
>What paper/list/tutoral do I read to find out what codec produces which
>video format?
>
>For instance, in the command line below,  how do I know that mpeg4
>produces .avi formated video? And  what audio format is pcm_s16le?
>

>ffmpeg -r 25 -s 384x288 -b 5000 -ar 44100 -vd /dev/v4l/video0 -qmin 2
>-vcodec mpeg4 -me zero -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 1 -y -t 3600 foo.avi

While my man page doesn't even show it, an ffmpeg -formats does show
that both are available as output formats.

A google search says the pcm_s16le is Signed 16 bit Little Ended. The
-ar says its to be 44.1 khz sample rate, and the -ac 1 says its mono, or
one
channel.

You might get better audio at -ar 48000 as much of the audio around
seems to be sampled at that slightly higher rate.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)