[Coco] Back to school

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Sat Oct 1 10:13:09 EDT 2005

That's great Jim.  You will find that taking the fun part in taking
these courses is not only learning something new, but relating it
back in someway to your CoCo.

One of the courses I am taking this semester is Programming
Languages, where we investigate the ways and methods in which
computer programming languages are constructed, designed and
represented.  Listening to the lecture and reading the book have
given me an appreciation for how languages like Basic09 were created,
the historical context in which they were born, and the design
decisions that, at the time, were based on language conventions of
the day.

Along with the lecture, which is full of theory, there are
assignments which are keeping us busy, and introducing us to knew
languages at the same time.  The semester project has us writing an
interpreter for the Algol 60 language... in SNOBOL.  We just received
our in-semester assignment... writing a Hindley-Milner type
inferencing algorithm in a language called ML (that's ML for Meta-
Language).

For me, all of this just sparks my imagination on what cool languages
we could use to create programs for our CoCos.  Of course, we have
Basic09 which is a pretty darned good language in its on right.
There is Pascal which is also a good language, and of course, C.  But
there are so many other languages that could be investigated, some
interpretive, some compiled.  Even the idea of creating a new
programming language designed for the specific features and memory
footprint of the CoCo is an interesting idea.

Get everything that you can out of the class, and as an aside, think
of creative ways in which you can apply this knowledge to the CoCo.

Boisy