[Coco] OT: Nanomotors

Tony Schountz tony.schountz at unco.edu
Thu Oct 6 19:38:53 EDT 2005

Well, I was reading a paper on the 1918 influenza pandemic in today's
issue of _Science_ and the article immediately following it caught my
attention. Apparently, a group from the Netherlands has managed to
make such beasts that run on chemical energy. Although "nanogears"
have been made in the past, no one had yet produced motors. This, of
course, has been one of the limitations in producing mobile
nanoobjects. It has interesting, and perhaps frightful, prospects.
Below is the paper's abstract.

T.
--
A Reversible, Unidirectional Molecular Rotary Motor Driven by
Chemical Energy

Stephen P. Fletcher, Frédéric Dumur, Michael M. Pollard, Ben L. Feringa

Department of Organic and Molecular Inorganic Chemistry, Stratingh
Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG Groningen,
Netherlands.

With the long-term goal of producing nanometer-scale machines, we
describe here the unidirectional rotary motion of a synthetic
molecular structure fueled by chemical conversions. The basis of the
rotation is the movement of a phenyl rotor relative to a naphthyl
stator about a single bond axle. The sense of rotation is governed by
the choice of chemical reagents that power the motor through four
chemically distinct stations. Within the stations, the rotor is held
in place by structural features that limit the extent of the rotor's
Brownian motion relative to the stator.