[Coco] [Color Computer] Disto Super Controller II

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Nov 30 16:58:40 EST 2005

Mike

The Disto SCII board used the same WD1773 Floppy disk
controller. Main difference in the Floopy controll section is that there
is a 2K buffer and the disk controller runs in buffered mode.  There
is logic that allows the disk controller to read/write the buffer instead
of the CPU having to read/write a byte at a time. ALso the IRQ from
the disk controller is mapped to the 6809's IRQ instead of the MNI.

Also there are other components and logic to form a 17 bit
expansion bus to include a parallel port compatible to the
Centronics port, real time clock and other expansion.

To recreate it  you are still locked into the limitations of the WD1773
disk controller. ONe would be better to build around the WD 2973
contrroller chip rather than the 1773.

james