[Coco] What good is 512K? (was: Coco Digest, Vol 26, Issue 50

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 15:54:23 EST 2005

For OS-9, it does basically the same thing that more ram does for your PC...
allows more processes to run at once, allow for faster execution by using a
ramdisk, allow more features (or bugs) to fit into your software.

Most would say that it does nothing for *stock* Basic, but this is simply not
true. Built-in Basic commands can't directly use it, but a few pokes can give
you extra buffer space for HGET/HPUT, more HSCREENs to flip between, even use
it to store data that will survive a reset. I used some of these tricks to
enhance Color FOG, but I chose to limit the requirements to 128K, which means I
only had one spare 8K block to play with, but that block would normally be
inaccessible to Basic.

There are also commercial games that required it, many released while the CoCo3
was still in production. My favorite is Sinistaar, which I enjoy on the CoCo3
more than the arcade version. Of course, bragging rights are nice too. We take
what we can get!

cheers,
Bob