[Coco] NT: BASIC educate

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Mon Nov 21 10:01:32 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:03:54 -0600, Glen VanDenBiggelaar
<glenvdb at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all,
> I thought I would ask a question about BASIC, that's been bugging me for
> 25 years. Before I got my first CoCo (83) I learned BASIC on the old
> PET. one of the first things I discovered was that the "PRINT" statement
> could be substituted for just "?" (a question Mark). I then used this on
> many Apple 2's, C64's, and ultimately on the CoCo.
> My question is:
> How come this is not documented anywhere in the Tandy Manuals, or in the
> many programs in Rainbow, etc? Is using this flaky? Is it just bad
> educate? or is it just to confusing for some? I know its just saving 3
> keystrokes, but when you are typing in a 6 page program, it does save a
> bit of time.
> -Glen

     There are 2 fairly standard, cross platform shortcuts: '?' for PRINT,
and a single quote "'" for REM. I think the original Coco 1 manual did
mention this somewhere, although, like you, I also used it on the Pet and
Apple II+.

--
L. Curtis Boyle