[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Fri Nov 11 22:17:48 EST 2005

>The Motherboard is another interesting feature (see the big pics on my site
>http://www.coco.8bit-micro.com/white2.htm) and has jumper settings for 16 to
>64K I was told this was an "E" board, but the few I have cracked open shows
>a trace wire right from factory.
>Another intersting tidbid, is that here in Alberta, they were only listed as
>"Special Order" and A former RS service Employee had never even seen one
>(although he worked on hundereds of CoCo 1 Model 1, 2, 3 etc.
>My box is indded the same as yours which has the "B" listed right on the
>side and "64K"hand written on the top. the date code is "6A3" which I belive
>is June 1983, but I don't have a Date code decoder for RS.

I've not looked at the board in mine, as the seal is unbroken and I have had
no reason to open it. There is no "64k" on the box, handwritten or otherwise
(the only indication that it is a 64k Coco is the 'B' in the catalog number).

In case you are tracking such things:
 My 64k Coco1 is date code 6A3, serial # 000750
 My 32k Coco1 is date code 951, serial # 001175
 My TRS-80 labeled Coco2 is date code 8A3, serial # 5005484
  (The TRS-80 labeled Coco2's have "flat" keys like the 64k Coco,
   whereas the later Tandy labeled Coco2's have full height keys).
  A second TRS-80 labled Coco2 is serial # 0012260, but I do not have
  the box so I don't have a date code.
 Two boxed Coco3's do not appears to have data codes on the boxes (but they
 do have the serial numbers listed, so perhaps the date is encoded therein).
 I don't have boxes for the 4k Coco1, 2 Tandy Coco2's or 1 Coco3, so I
 can't provide date codes for any of those (I can send you serial #s
 but thats probably won't tell you anything.

Another interesting thing I noticed while checking all this out - the upgraded
keyboard on my 32k Coco is NOT the same as the 64k Coco - where the 64k Coco
has "flat" keys like the TRS-80 labeled Coco2s, the upgraded 32k Coco has full
height keys like the Tandy labeled Coco2's (and the Coco3 except for the changed
layout). This may explain why the upgrade was not available until after the 64k
Coco.

Regards,
Dave

--