[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Looking for a Coco I 64k?

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Fri Nov 11 17:56:43 EST 2005

>> I have a Coco I 64k with the chicklet keyboard.
>
>AFAIK, there was no such thing. As I recall, the maximum RAM for a Coco
>I was officially 32 K. But because Tandy used 64 KB memory modules, you
>actually could use 64 KB RAM, but not supported or guaranteed by Tandy.
>Actually, the chips they used were - by rumour - out of spec RAMchips.

There is a 64K Coco (NOT Coco2 or Coco3) which is white, and has the
flat keys like the early CoCo2s. It is the same physical size as the
silver Coco-1s (ie: bigger than the Coco2/3). They are not all that
common. I have a photo of mine on my site. The nameplate reads "Radio
Shack 64K Color Computer".

It also appears (alongside the CoCo2) in the 1984 catalog, which reads
in part: "64K Extended BASIC Color Computer. Now double your programming
power with this low-cost professional computer. Compact, white case
features a new electric typewriter-quality keyboard. Loaded with features
for the serious programmer, too. Add our new Color 2 Disk Kit (at left)
and OS-9 operating system (below) to utilize the full 64,000 character
memory. Or access 32K of memory using the powerful, built-in extended
BASIC language." ...

It also appears in the 1984 "Computers" catalog with a similar description.
In both cases, marked "New for '84".

FWIW, the 64K CoCo sold for $599 (Cdn) in 1984 and the Coco2 was offered
with only 16k, as the Standard ($349) and Extended ($459) versions.

The 1984 catalogs also include "64K RAM Upgrade Kit. Converts a 4K, 16K or
32K Color Computer to 64k" ($199).

Regards,
Dave
--