[Coco] Re: CoCo mounted in a Model III-IV Case?

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Fri Nov 11 14:23:24 EST 2005

Derek, I had a CoCo3 mounted in an old Kaypro II portable case and one mounted in a Tandy 2000 case. The Kaypro is most similar to the Model 3. Using the CRT isn't to big a deal since the M-3 used a composite monochrome monitor. You have to build a composite output circuit for the CoCo though, which isn't to difficult once you have the schematic (I don't have one anymore). The keyboard is a different story. IIRC the M-3 used a switch type keyboard. Unless the keys were wired the same as the CoCo matrix (doubtful), someone had to resire the board. On those old boards that wasn't terribly difficult, but required cutting a few traces and wires, and soldering jumper wires in all across the board. Tedious, but not to difficult. You can get such keyboards from http://www.cadigital.com/ for $15-$39.

You'll have to gut the computer then figure out what you need to do to mount the motherboard. In the Kaypro I had to use a shorty controller, but made room for a Disto Super Controller with HD adapter on it in the Tandy 2000. It was a tight fit!

CA Digital also has a nice drive case for anyone interested. It holds two half height 5.25" drives side by side, perfect for sticking under a monitor. Built in power supply, $29 (made by Xerox). They have 5.25" floppy drives too -- sincgle sided for only $9, double sided for $39. Those single sided drives are bargains!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent