[Coco] wierd stuff

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 19:57:01 EST 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 19:43, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
>OK, so last night I has some weird stuff happen. I am now using a
double
> FD 500 setup, and I switched it from my CoCo2 to my CoCo3. At first,
> all was fine, then after about 10 minutes, I started to get I/O
errors.
> I couldn't do anything with it and started to panic. I then hooked it
> back up to my CoCo2 and was still getting I/O errors on both drives. I
> switched out the controller to 3 separate ones and was still getting
> errors. Originally, I had the Multi-pak set up on the CoCo2 and
swapped
> back the original controller and put the multi-pak back on and
> everything worked just fine.
>
>My question is why? is it because of the power drain from the second
> drive, that it needs extra power? or is it because I am not using a
> fan, and the drives are over heating?
>I know I SHOULD be using the multi-pak with the CoCo3 and a FD 500, but
> why a CoCo2?
>or are my drives just flaky?
>-Glen

I'd suspect heating in the drive boxes power supply has probably pretty
well fried the filter capacitors in it after all these years.  I had
that happen to me way back in time.  Replace the capacitors & rig a cpu
fan to exhaust the heat and I expect it will all be fixed for quite a
while.  Till the fan dies at least.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)