[Coco] [Color Computer] Video garbage on CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 2 19:08:58 EST 2005

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 13:25, brunkfordbraun wrote:
>My CoCo is outputting random video junk, does not respond to
>keypresses, and does not go to the command prompt. There are many
>different things the video has done, but here are two samples:
>
>http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4391/junk17wt.jpg
>http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/3977/junk29os.jpg
>
>Is this a common problem? Is this something I could fix with my own
>soldering skills, is there someone out there who still fixes these
>things, or am I just better off tossing it?

I would start by re-seating the gime chip in its socket.. But to get it
out in the first place will take a puller that we could get from the
shack, called a PLCC puller.  It was about a tenner the last time I
bought one.  Note when re-installing the chip that it has one key
corner, and that this corner must match the same corner of the socket.

It looks as if someone had taken a file and filed away a small amount
of the corner.  And of course be sure and use the usual handling
precautions vis-a-vis static electricity.  Lay one hand on the modulator
box and keep it there while handling the chip and puller.