[Coco] Re: updated wikipedia article

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Thu Nov 17 18:32:06 EST 2005

One thing to remember: Wikipedia is a general encyclopedia. I applaud your efforts to put the technical information about the CoCo there. I think it's a fantastic idea! Just don't mix the technical stuff with the general history. In other words, have the general stuff first, for the casual user, then go into technical details further along. Otherwise you'll lose "Joe/Jane Average" before they get to far. I haven't looked at it yet, but have been editing some of the Wikipedia pages. I even edited the original CoCo page a couple years ago. I don't care if everything I edited in is now gone, hopefully it's been replaced with more detailed info, as it was of a more general nature.

One last thing -- if you're going to be seriously editing the page, sign up for an account at Wikipedia. It's free and doen immediately. Then sign in every time you edit pages. This will put your name in the page as the author/editor, and it will stay in the history. Another thing you should do is open the "discussion" page. All you need to do is make an entry (click discussion tab, when it comes up "no discussion" or "no article", hit edit page and write something). This will provide a place for people with questions or general comment to put them and NOT edit good stuff out, or make comments in a page as if it were a message board (I've had that happen on an AMC page!). A good suggestion would be to introduce yourself and experience with the CoCo as the opening remark. I did that on one of the AMC pages as well. That sets the tone for the article -- gives you soome credibility. Doesn't have to be much, just something like "I've been using a CoCo for the past five years, and still use one now. I also belong to a CoCo mail list where I can easily get more infor and answers to questions I don't have answers for." Wouldn't hurt to put in how to sign up for the CoCo list (heck, I've forgot!!). I wrote 2-3 paragraphs about myself, but then I'm a bit long winded sometimes (in case you couldn't tell)...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent