[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Older Floppy Drives

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 16 20:43:52 EDT 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 18:33, Jan Vanden Bossche wrote:
>Hallo

There's a jumper on the board, but I don't know the acronym for it at
the moment.  Lemme see if I can find the manual again...

Mmm, did, but mine (all copies) are old enough that the 55F and 55G
are treated as seperate models.  Apparently the next production run
combined the pcb into a single board that could be used for either
since the mechanics are identical.

Jumpers listed in my manuals are:
HS
DS0
DS1
HM
DS2
DS3
MX
in one row, and
UR
ML
IU
HL
SM
U0
U1
RE
in another row, and a final PM jumper that was off by itself.

So, if you have a jumper visible that isn't labeled as one of the
above, it may well be the motor speed.  I believe that the later
drives also had the ability to have this controlled from the
interface, but I've not been exposed to the how is this actually
done.

The last time I actually did this was not to a TEAC drive, but to a
Mitsumi IIRC.  Its in my coc3's drive & psu tower, and a bear to
remove and verify.  And no help for this instant problem.
Some of the later PC style controller chips has this as one of their
options.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)