[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: New member

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 02:45:24 EDT 2005

I got my CoCo's out of storage... does that count as progress?

Actually I have more than that.  I designed some of the parts for PCB
123.  I have a partial layout with most of the USB section.  I have
part of the address decoding, the rest depends on what else goes on
the board.  I reserved space for an IDE connector but that may change.
 I've played around with chip placement to see just how much I can fit
in there but the cheapest design requires a 3.3V part and I don't know
how the CoCo buss will deal with that.

I haven't been totally focused on this though.  Most of that was done
in a couple evenings.

To do...
I need to redo the CoCo connector.  It ended up with all pins on one
side... something got lost in translation and PCB 123 isn't as
intuitive as I'd like.

I need to look at the Dragon connector to see if I can make it work
with just jumpers.

I'm testing all address bits instead of what I originally suggested
but I need to finalize the address decoding logic.  What address is
the other USB interface at?

I planned on USB + IDE in a game cartridge... but space is kinda close
so I might use an XD card rather than IDE.  XD uses a simple 8 bit
interface that requires less logic than IDE.  I might fit something
else in if I do that.

My board etching stuff is missing so I'm probably going to order parts
and wirewrap a proto.

I had spoken to a rep about this chip a year ago and they never did
get me the samples they promised.  Who are you getting the chip from?

I've had too many distractions to get any further and I have some real
work to do and I'm out of town.

I also promised another group I'd do a couple things.  Some software
and modify a TRS-80 to GI AY-3-8910 interface that appeared in a
magazine.  Anyone know a good source for the AY-3-8910/12/13 chips
besides ripping up an old machine???

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at b...> wrote:
> James,
>
> I'm curious -- how's work proceeding on your low-cost USB adapter for
> the CoCo?

Yahoo! Groups Links