[Coco] replacing main rom

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat May 14 14:20:33 EDT 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005 jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> Art
>
> I am used to describing what is on the screen as a means of an
> electrron beam striking a set of phosphors that displays what is
> seen. The problem with to fast a blink rate is such that the computer
> blinks a character faster than the electron beam can get back to that
> spot on the CRT to show what the computer has done. Even though
> the computer blinks a character at a certain rate, the viewer sees it
> at a slower rate due to the scan rate is too slow for the computer
> blink rate.

Yep, that's exactly what's happening here.  Beyond a certain rate, it doesn't
matter how fast the blink attribute rate controlled by the GIME is;  the
character will still have an irregular 30th of a second blink rate, due to the
frame rate being a 60th of a second and the fact that the character has a random
equal likelihood of being drawn as on or off in any given frame.

Art